- Career Level Entry-Junior
- Experience2 Years
- QualificationsProfessional Certificate
• A Marine Chief Engineer holds complete responsibility for the operation of the engine room and any maintenance of machinery onboard the vessel.
• As head of Marine Engineering on board ship, the Marine Chief Engineer works closely with the Captain, occasionally holding equal rank, to ensure that the physical aspect of the vessel is completely under control.
• You must work within a small team to ensure that all maintenance is completed efficiently and in depth.
• The Marine Chief Engineer must maintain inventory for any spare parts, extra fuel and oil. This inventory must be kept up to date.
• The Marine Chief Engineer must also ensure that the engine room is well kept and prepared for inspection by higher authorities, and it is the Marine Chief Engineer’s responsibility in the event that the inspection finds the room unsatisfactory.
• You must also determine the volume of oil, fuel and lube required for each voyage and ensure that substantial quantities of each is on board.
• The Marine Chief Engineer delivers general daily operation of the engine room to their primary assistant.