- Experience4 Years
- GenderAny Gender
- QualificationsProfessional Certificate
- Job Code16487
In recognition of recent political and security developments in Libya and related opportunities to enhance stability in Tripoli and avert the further erosion of institutional capacities, and against the backdrop of the UN Secretary-General’s decision to move ahead with relocating the United Nations into Libya, the Government of National Accord (GNA) has requested assistance from UNSMIL and UNDP to efforts of the Ministry of Interior, Libyan police and criminal justice institutions to advance security and the rule of law in Libya’s capital. Based on detailed assessments of the current context and capabilities, and in consultation with Libyan stakeholders, priority areas have been identified for programmatic engagement as follows:
- Structure, roles, and resourcing of local police and criminal justice institutions clarified and prioritized according to identified needs in Tripoli.
- The effectiveness of law enforcement and prison service delivery in Tripoli improved through provision of training and technical and material assistance.
- Ministry of Interior enabled to better assess and provide feasible demobilization options for members of armed formations.
- Ministry of Interior provided with capacity development and organizational assistance.
In line with UN commitment to integrated assistance, and with support from the Global Focal Point arrangement for Police, Justice and Corrections, UNSMIL and UNDP are rolling out a 2-year ‘Policing & Security Joint Programme’ (JP) (1 October 2017 – 30 September 2019), which will maximize the capabilities of the UN system in support of the GNA’s agenda in these critical areas. This joint programme is fully aligned with UNSMIL’s Security Council mandate and the UN Strategic Framework and leverages UNDP’s operational deployment and footprint inside all Libya as a programmatic entity of the UN Country Team.
In order to realize the objectives of the programme, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) seeks a national policing expert to support Libyan authorities with the implementation of JP activities along with project team and UNSMIL Police Section.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Effective administration and implementation of project strategies and activities;
- Provide effective support to management;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing,
Effective administration and implementation of project strategies and activities in close coordination with Libyan MOI and MOJ Joint Technical Committee for the Programme through carrying out the following tasks:
- Oversees activities of the Police activities of the Project, ensuring objectives as stipulated in AWP are met, relationships are strategically managed with sensitivity.
- Remains abreast of the Police trends and applied concepts, advising on the possible new opportunities for intervention and associated risks.
- Ensures efficiency of project team staff and contributes to the overall project management by delegating tasks at the sub-level ensuring efficient and effective delivery of activities;
- Improves/establishes coordination mechanisms and procedures amongst the various stakeholders and participates in all internal and external (coordination) meetings representing the project;
- Actively participates in the strategy meetings, giving expert level technical guidance where and when required;
- Advises in the identification of the target communities for activities;
- Supports the international and national consultants (where applicable) with technical and logistical guidance;
- Ensures the promotion and application of the UNDP drivers of development effectiveness (promotes national ownership and the development of national capacities);
- Fosters policies and partnerships and promotes gender equality for enhanced programmatic results, and other development standards as per UNDP’s corporate multi-year strategy;
- Ensures that all programming is founded on Rights Based approach and that project resources are used in a balanced way and are “conflict-sensitive”, ensures adherence to the Do-No-Harm principle and any joint UN operating principles in Libya.
- Ensures the integration of cross-cutting issues, such as gender, peacebuilding, human rights and ICT, into the design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of programme/projects; and
- Keeps the Project and Programme Manager abreast of emerging project issues.
Provides effective support to management, as follows;
- In close consultation with the Project Manager and advisory support of relevant project assistant and operation colleagues, contributes to the elaboration of budgets for all activities in the programme portfolio and the continuous monitoring of project work plans;
- Ensures integrity of financial and administrative operations in the project through oversight of financial and budgetary aspects of the projects;
- Ensures strict and consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations and ensures the implementation of clear accountability mechanisms throughout the project portfolio; and
- Participates in internal control mechanisms for adherence to UNDP rules and regulations in contracts, assets, procurement, and recruitment
- Support for requirement management based on the AWP within the budget lines
- Provide administrative support for the preparation and facilitation events, including workshops and training;
- Liaise and coordinate with corporate UNDP services to ensure that expected results are delivered in a timely manner.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, as follows;
- Work with IUNV Reporting, M&E officer in the preparation of progress reports reflecting communication results, lessons learned and dissemination strategy;
- Undertake risk assessments, political and stakeholder mapping, and assist in developing options to address identified needs of sub-recipients and reinforcing capacities for effective project implementation;
- Support and where required carry out ongoing monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and ensure activities are connected to outcomes; human rights due to diligence assessments; rolling political risk analysis assessment and updating of risk mitigation strategies;
- Documentation and dissemination of best practices for management and implementation of the project activities at a local level;
- Provide administrative support to organized training and periodic workshops for programme activities;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices;
- Support for the development and implementation of a communications strategy to showcase in-country activities.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the JP team and on its capacity to manage risk and monitor/evaluate programme activities. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict.
- Functional Competencies:
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Actively work towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more
- Practice Areas acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside of the project;
- Experience in research, analysis, and data management capabilities a distinct advantage;
- Fluency in Arabic required; knowledge of English a distinct advantage;
- Basic understanding and awareness of Libya country context, particularly in the security sector.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to oversee implementation, and undertake monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Ability to identify potential risks and challenges to project activities, and take steps to mitigate or overcome them.
- Ability to bring diverse activities into a coherent narrative;
- Ability to develop project reports;
- Supports results-based programme development and management;
- Analyze opportunities for resource mobilization;
- In-depth knowledge and technical specialty relating to the position.
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on result for the client;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Supports advocacy for UNDP’s goals;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ensures information flows as effectively as possible to ensure the project is effective;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree preferably in Criminology, peace, conflict and security, economics, business or public administration, political or social science, law, international studies, development studies or any other related field is a requirement. NB. A combination of a first level university degree in a relevant field and minimum four (4) years’ relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Postgraduate qualification in relevant fields desirable but not a requirement.
- Minimum two (2) years (if holding advance university degree) or four (4) years relevant experience (if holding a first level university degree) relevant experience at the national or international level, is required; Proven track record of successfully assuming responsibilities of similar size and complexity;
- Technical expertise in policing, law, social cohesion, peace and/or conflict and/or other directly related fields.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Knowledge of UN/UNDP policies and procedures will be advantageous;
- Experience in inter-agency coordination of development or humanitarian assistance, and working with the United Nations, is desirable
- Ability to work harmoniously with people of different cultural backgrounds.
Fluency in the English and Arabic.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web based management systems.